This page is primarily written for solicitors.
I do not prepare general psychiatric report but I may act in cases that I specialise in – for example cases of personal injury after a cosmetic procedure or for patients who have Obsessive Compulsive or a related disorder (for example Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Health Anxiety or Emetophobia). These are by definition unusual specialised reports. I do not normally act in forensic cases or employment tribunals. I am reluctant to provide opinions for legal aid funded cases as these are uneconomic.
I was previously checked for the Law Society Directory of Expert Witnesses and was listed in the UK Register of Expert Witnesses (JS Publications).
I have attended training days on report writing and speaking in court. I have written over 200 reports and have appeared in Court. I have acted for cases of negligence and for both claimants and defendants.
I would normally expect to have completed a report within 4 weeks of seeing a client (unless agreed beforehand).
My terms are as follows:
- I cost my time at £280 per hour for all time spent on the case. Preparation of a psychiatric report would involve reading all relevant documentation, the examination of your client and meeting any other significant parties. My average fee for cases is £1000. There is no VAT.
- My fees in respect of a “without prejudice” meeting or conference with counsel would be £275 per hour which includes time for traveling and waiting.
- My daily rate for attending court to give expert evidence is £1,700 per day or part thereof, which includes time for traveling and waiting. I expect payment even if I do not give oral evidence.
- Reasonable traveling expenses will be required for attending court or meetings outside London. Copies of receipts will be provided should they be requested.
- There would be a contingency cancellation fee of £600 per day if, for any reason whatsoever, any need to attend court is cancelled and I am given less than two working days’ notice.
- In legally aided cases (where my fees are considered a disbursement), I expect a prompt claim to be made to the Legal Aid Board and to advise me of any expected delay in settlement. In all other cases, I expect payment within 30 days of the invoice date irrespective of whether a client has paid you (unless agreed beforehand).
- I am not prepared to have my accounts subjected to taxation and look to you, my client, to fund any taxation deducted to the Case, at any time.
- I will use my experience, care and skill in fulfilling your instructions to the best of my ability. Please remember that I am an independent witness.
- I will need photocopies that I can keep of the following documentation prior to my examination of a client: (a) The entirety of a client’s General Practitioner’s medical records. (b) If a client has seen a psychiatrist, psychologist, counsellor or any other such person in respect of psychological problems either prior to the accident or arising since the accident then I will need to see all relevant reports and letters arising there from c) Copies of any witness statements.